May 14, 2007

News Hair in the Face of Traffic Adversity

I'm sitting up at Otherlands, the coffee shop that has become like a makeshift, caffinated office to me since my move. Outside, an intrepid young, blonde broadcast reporter is doing her thing while her camera dude films her from across the busy street. Traffic is wizzing by between them, and I'm not sure how exactly it's working, or what the story is.

On the opposite corner, there's an advertising agency. When I finish this blog and my overly sour lemonade, I'm going to go grab one of the resumes in my car and walk into that ad agency, and well...I guess just leave it? I'm not even sure what I'm going to do. But I'm "professionally dressed", as I went out to the suburbs today to apply for another job. I may as well - what have I got to lose, other than my life trying to cross the street?

The weekend was relatively unevenful. I DJ-ed a house party on Saturday, and I played a flawless set. Too bad no one could hear it. You see, Memphis has a unique problem in that all of its citizens under a certain age seem to think that they should be musicians. When they've been drinking, these people think they're actually good musicians, and proceed to pick up any instrument lying around and bang / strum / make noise with it repetitively. And that's what happened Saturday. Since the house party was at the home of some legitimate musicians, instruments were about (as were drunk people). Thus, my perfectly executed set was played enthusiastically, but heard by very few. The people who did hear it liked it, and I'm hoping that I'll get to do it again soon.




But for now, I'm going to go out to my car, grab a resume, and walk into that ad agency like they'll actually want to hire me. I'll let you know how that goes.

they can't take away my dignity,
Kerry

No comments: