May 28, 2007

Floating in my Tin Can

Ever since a particularly terrible rendition of T Rex's "Bang A Gong" combined with "If You're Happy and You Know It", I've been really reluctant to sing in public. It's not that I'm a terrible singer, but I'm not a very good one, either. Singing in the Fightin' Focus is one thing, singing with an audience is another matter entirely. Somehow, I always manage to forget about that one time when it's P&H karaoke night.

Friday, after drinking weak vodka lemonade and getting caught up in a zombie walk at Trolley Tour, a bunch of us went to the P&H for some cheap beer and comedy gold. For possibly the first time ever, the host was having a hard time convincing people to sing, so Linsey and I got up to sing Tiny Dancer. We tried our damnedest - there were parts sung as William Shatner would have sung them, some commentary, and light pelvic thrusting. Colin sang (very appropriately) "She Blinded Me With Science". Other than that, it was the ususal mixed bag of dudes drunk on Maker's Mark singing "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and large team efforts singing "YMCA". All in all, a great time.

Kristin got to Memphis on Saturday, and that night, she and Andy got to join the the completion of one of my life goals. I finally got to see The Reverend Horton Heat. Until last Saturday, every time he played in Memphis, I was either underage or in Muncie. The one time he made it to Muncie, I was in Memphis for a job interview. But Saturday night, in a crowd of people with bad tattoos, I finally lived the dream.

Before the show started (which was at least two hours after doors opened), I started talking to some cool people that were standing near us. It turns out that they work at the ad agency that I tried to walk into a few weeks ago. When I told my sad tale of braving Cooper only to face a locked door, they laughed and told me I should have rang the doorbell. Anyway, all of us had a great time drinking and dancing and trying to figure out if the ginormous individual with shedding, over-dyed pink hair was a man or a woman.

Yesterday, Kristin and I spent the afternoon starring in a movie that Andy has to make for work. The movie is about the most wonderful of all Constitutional ammendments (the first one). Yesterday's shoot was about the freedom of the press. This involved Kristin opening a bathroom door only to be confronted with a reporter (me) and a photographer (Andy). You'll have to ask Andy if you want a better explanation.

Anyway, the shoot involved lots of things, including ridiculous drawn-on facial hair.






I've got to go back on Wednesday for more filming (I also get to represent your right to assembly).

In the meantime, I should probably head over to the little Memorial Day extravaganza that's happening this afternoon. I'm not even going to job search - it's a freakin' holiday.

lick the pen,
Kerry

No comments: