Jul 9, 2007

I Can Get You On My Wrong Side

This past weekend, my mom and I went to Morristown, Tenn. to watch my semi-cousin Amy get married. I say semi-cousin, because technically, we're not particularly related, but my very extened family has been gracious enough to include us in their festivities, which always involve lots of Bud Light and at least one round of the Hokey Pokey.

On the way to the wedding, we stopped in Knoxville to pick up my younger brother. He lives in an apartment that's both newer and nicer than mine (though, I will say that mine has more charm). Unfortunately, my brother enjoys cooking. More unfortunately, he does not enjoy doing the dishes. He also doesn't seem to be in the market for toilet paper, which left mom yelling from the bathroom for someone to bring her a paper towel. My mom (like most moms) usually has a huge bag of useful items, among which is a roll of oh-so-handy Charmin To Go. She left that bag at home.

The wedding was on Saturday, 07-07-07. It was held at Amy's parents' farm, and it was mostly put together by the family. On Saturday morning, we all got up early and went to the house to wrap hay bales in white butcher paper, arranged daisies in mason jars, spread pimento cheese on bread, and set up tables. I took pictures before and during the ceremony.





On Sunday, we made our way back to Knoxville to return my brother to the pile of unwashed dishes and the three random dudes sleeping on his couch. In the back of the car, we had a lot of photos from my grandmother (see previous entry about cleaning her garage). Most of them were handed off to my aunt in the Holiday Inn parking lot, but there were a few large framed portraits of Civil War-era bearded ancestors that were to be dropped off at an aunt's house in Knoxville. When we got to the house, my mom tried the door several times, but no one was home. Operation Ancestor Drop was not to be deterred. Clearly, we couldn't take them home with us. My mom has little use for bearded dudes, and as much as I love them, they don't match my decor. So, we did the only thing we could do - we left them in a place where my aunt and uncle were sure to find them:



So, Elsie, Bill - those are from us. We probably should have left a note.


drop it like it's hot,
Kerry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Match or no match,I can't believe you gave up the opportunity to have framed photos of civil war ancestors at your house! How disappointing...