Jul 25, 2007

Given and Taken in Ink

Today involved:

- my job.

- book club.

- swing dancing with the smartest kid from middle school.

Let's start with the book club - before you judge me, please know that Oprah is in no way involved. I haven't started reading the first book yet, but it's something about learning all of one's girlie lessons from Judy Blume. It makes sense - I learned a lot of my girlie lessons from her, even though I read "Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret" entirely too early and was thouroughly confused about womanhood for a good number of years following.

The book club seems like a good idea - meet some new people, drink some margaritas, have some intelligent conversation. I've been in Memphis for almost three months now, and I'm starting to feel that itch of wanting to be super busy again. When I'm busy, I'm more productive, more fun, and less likely to take naps in the middle of the evening.

Following book club, I went to the University of Memphis to meet up with my friend David, who was by far the smartest kid I knew in middle school. I hadn't seem him since 8th grade, save for one night when he was volunteering at Live at the Garden when I was on production crew.

Anyway, he wanted to go swing dancing, and sent out a very last minute email about it. I met him at the weekly Red Hot Lindy Hop lesson, and we danced a few songs and then had drinks. There's another dance tomorrow night in my neighborhood, and I think I'm going to get a little dressed up and go.

It's typically a little disarming to have reunions like that one, but it wasn't awkward at all. I think I took care of that by saying things like "I only like agriculture I can see over," and "I used to be able to throw my leg over my partner's head, no problem." (mind you, the first was in reference to corn mazes, and the second in reference to how out of practice I am at doing swing arials.)

Coming up this weekend, I'm going to be playing paintball for the very first time, so expect a weekend update on my very first paintball experience. This weekend also marks the end of a bit of a tradition - The Ken Burns Civil War Drinking Game. If you're in Memphis and would like to play along, just email me, and we'll work something out.


In the meantime, me and senor Zombie Cucaracha are going to bed. Have good dreams, everyone!

scared of agriculture she can't see over,
Kerry

3 comments:

fornow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fornow said...

I didn't read the sentence about "this weekend marks the end of the tradition."


There should probably be a dance party in its place when the rest of the brigade is there.

Anonymous said...

Is there a thing about meeting old friends at dances?

This past year, I met two high school friends that I hadn't seen in ages because they signed up for my class. And just two weeks ago, a friend from my Cegep (our college system here in Quebec, Canada) showed up at one of our Friday dances in Montreal for the beginner lesson.

Eerie.

Btw, I saw in your previous post that you started DJing. Have you tried Djing for Lindy Hop?