Jun 11, 2007

Living Among the Bears

This morning, I logged onto my favorite internet soul sucker, Facebook, to do the usual sorts of Facebook things when something caught my eye. A guy I know wanted me to add something called an "Honesty Box". Apparently, this handy little device allows others to annonymously comment on you for all of Facebook to read. Intrigued, I added it to my profile. Now, before anyone even comments, I'm wondering if maybe that was a bad idea. Even though its annonymous, just think of all of the potential drama this could lead to. This is not a tool that should be placed in the hands of 16 year old girl. Cliques will disband! Entire high schools will crumble! It'll be MAYHEM!

Right. Yes. Anyway.

I got back from Paducah yesterday just in time for the second installment of the Civil War Drinking Game. The good news about the trip to Paducah is that we found my grandmother's driftwood without having to visit the dump. The auctioneer that had taken loads of things from the old house had it. And for some reason, he gave it back to her. My mom and I spent at least three hours in her garage trying to find a place to put all of the driftwood. During that time, we came across all sorts of fun things: at least two sets of crystal, my great grandfather's WWI gas mask, helmet and boots, a box of human hair, some baby shoes, and a bottle of Creme de Cocao that had a price sticker for $2.33, which means it had to have been purchased before 1970. Ew.
The rest of the weekend was spent watching my grandmother read every Christmas card she's recieved since 1940.

And I learned something from watching all of this go down - I really don't want to turn out like that. It was enough to make me want to come home and throw away any personal correspondance I've ever recieved just so that my kids never have to try to do it for me.

I'm going to look at apartments today, and thankfully, they'll likely all be too tiny for me to keep much of anything there. I'm not even sure if I'll be able to take all of the furniture that is crowding my mom's car out of her garage and into her driveway. I'm excited about apartment hunting, but I've got such monetary restrictions that it's going to be a little difficult. I'm going to look at one today, and a few more tomorrow.

In about a week, I'll probably start my job.

Somehow, I've managed to turn into a grown up really quickly. A grown up with an "honesty box" on her Facebook.

annonymously,
Kerry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All real grown ups have honesty boxes. Its one of the things that makes a grown up a grown up. I'm pretty sure you can't be a grown up without one!